How to Clean Laminate Flooring?
A new laminate floor looks great. It is an efficient and cost effect way of adding a practical and stylish floor to your home. But how do you maintain laminate flooring? We know that you want to be able to enjoy it for as long as possible. Here at Value Carpets & Flooring, we have a few useful tips to help you clean and maintain your laminate floor. By applying these techniques, you will avoid damage to the surface and keep it in top condition for years to come.
Laminate Floor Cleaning Tips
- Stop dirt from entering your home or room by using mats to catch it before it gets onto the laminate floor surface. Remove outdoor shoes before walking on it as a form of prevention.
- Be careful moving furniture as dragging chairs and tables can result in scratches and damage to the surfaces.
- Use a soft bristled broom for sweeping and vacuum dust and debris regularly. Allowing dust and dirt to settle will dull the appearance. How often you do this will depend on the amount of traffic the floor receives. Busy areas will more need attention.
- Clean any hard debris away with care to avoid scratching.
- Mop up spillages immediately with paper towels to avoid staining. If liquids are left standing for too long they can penetrate and warp the boards.
- Do not use anything abrasive such as scourers as these will damage the surface.
- Use a well wrung damp micro fibre mop and clean water to mop the floor.
- Do not use any harsh chemical cleaning products as this can make the laminate top layer deteriorate. Use specialist laminate floor cleaner or add vinegar to the water to restore floor shine.
- Use ice to freeze chewing gum and candle wax then remove using a plastic scraper. A credit or debit card can be improvised for this. Then wipe with a damp cloth.
- Never over wet the floor when mopping. While laminate flooring technology has advanced and there are more water resistant types, making the surface too wet risks penetration, warping and uplifting.
Check Before Cleaning Your Laminate Flooring
If you have any concerns about cleaning laminate flooring then it is always best to check with your manufacturers brand instructions. Using the wrong methods can make a warranty invalid. We have a team of experts here at Value Carpets & Flooring who can also advise you on the best course of action. Please contact us with your enquiries.